Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 1997 19:57:20 -0600
From:         Martin Peitz <peitz@HIWAAY.NET>
Subject:      Re: P/N 021 906 031?
Comments: To: Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>

Old Volks Home wrote: > > At 08:55 PM 12/4/97 -0600, you wrote: > >021 906 031 > >This P/N does not make sense and yet it exits. > >It retails for $134.50 in the 1996 VW price list, it is some kind of > >injector (with 021 it shouldn't be) and I found it in somebodies "for > >sale" list for $12 new. > >I wish it were of use in my injected Bus, Bug or Squareback. > >What is it? Anybody have a clue? No wild guesses please.In which > >microfiche can I find it? > >Martin > ---------------------------------------------------- > Martin - > > I may have a clue. In the VOA price list, there are three 021-906-031 > injectors listed: > 021-906-031 > 021-906-031A > 021-906-031B > > The most current Bosch Injection book interchange lists the 021-906-031A > injector for the late 92 VR6 Passat (from VIN 31-N-120001 or Oct 91)(Bosch > 0280 150 953) with Digifant. > > Early 92 VR6 Passats (also w/Digifant) used Bosch 0280 150 929 thru VIN > 31-N-120000 or Oct 91. Unfortunately, the Bosch interchange does not give > the Original VW Part Number. I'd be willing to bet that the 021-906-031 > yer looking at is this injector. Ask the person to look for the Bosch > number on the injector to confirm this. It should have both the VW and > Bosch # imprinted on the injector itself. > > I have a large number of original VW films to work with, but no Passat > films (never had the need for them to be honest). Does anyone have a 1992 > Passat film to confirm my "wild speculation"? > > As to workability in Van Digifant, I'd be inclined to say no. These > injectors are probably designed for a smaller bore cylinder and MAY run > leaner than their 4 cylinder counterpart. > > As to why VW would use a "021" prefix for the Watercooled Digifant > Injectors, who knows, ask the Kaiser! You should know that after all these > years Volkswagen does a lot of things that make no sense, right?.........;-) > > Jim Thompson > Check out our latest cool stuff at: > http://www.oldvolkshome.com > jim@oldvolkshome.com > Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home > PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 > (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) > > 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon

BINGO and thanks a lot! Its good to have some knowledgable people on the list! Eventhough the part clearly has what seems to be a Bus number it really is a part for the early Passat VR6. Weird. As for the VW numbering system: It does have its quirks but it also has its deeper (way deeper) logic, that only very few people can apreciate. Once I thought I found new type 147 (german/swiss postal car "Fridolin") parts in the VW stock still available. But the subgroups didn't match. It turned out to be Golf Pickup "Caddy" parts which also start with 147. The logic? Well both are considered "small transport/utility" vehicles. The biggest problem the VW numbering system has, are untrained people behind the counters, who have a record of about 60% correct hits when ordering a part by themselves. Thats why I don't let them. I look things up myself and it also gets me the wholesale price. These people also disguise the fact that there are many more parts still available than most people think (and in Germany even more for ~ 40% of the price). Thanx again to you Jim Martin Peitz