Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 1997 21:58:04 +1100
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: clutch master cylinder
Comments: To: Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>

Hi Sean

Just replaced the clutch master cylinder today on my '89 Transporter. I positioned a small funnel (feeding into an old brake fluid container) to catch the fluid draining from the old cylinder so the mess on the mat was negligible.

I put the van on a sloping drive with the rear end uphill (the reverse of bleeding the cooling system). Two of us (one operating the clutch pedal and the other opening and closing the bleed valve) bled the system much more easily than I anticipated, (because the air bubbles went upwards to the slave cylinder?) There was quite a lot of air in the line but, all in all, a fairly easy and quick operation.

Finally I hosed off spilt fluid with water. (It's hot weather here now and it dried quickly)

Cheers

Jack Newton "89 Transporter Safari Campervan Sydney Australia

-----Original Message----- From: Sean Bartnik < >Reading up on the procedure in Haynes, it looks really easy (the >replacement of the master cylinder, that is) tho it looks as if I will >spill copious amounts of brake fluid in the process. And I'm sure >bleeding it will be a blast. > >Does anyone have any tips? Is it possible to bleed this thing just like >bleeding the brakes or will I need some kind of pressure or vacuum >bleeder? > >TIA, >Sean >-- >