Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 1997 02:44:44 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: 89 Wolfs/Newbie ??
Comments: To: Marna & Mike Evans <manx@CATS.UCSC.EDU>

It could be as simple as a cheap ass oil filter. Make sure its got a filter w/ the pressure relief valve built into it. My 90GL did the buzzer routine on the used car dealer's lot after sitting for several months. I had the slaesperson convinced the the motor was shot @ 106K and bought the van w/ cherry body and average interior for $2800. Went home and changed the oil and filter and no more buzzer! My local VW guru helped me out on this in advance and it paid off. It's worth a shot.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

---------- > From: Marna & Mike Evans <manx@CATS.UCSC.EDU> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: 89 Wolfs/Newbie ?? > Date: Sunday, November 30, 1997 11:13 AM > > Hi All: > I am a newbie to the list. I've been "lurking" for about 4 months. I > bought my 89 Wolfsburg in August from a small dealer, which seemed really > risky, but thanks to the list, I knew what to look for (Thank You Thank > You). Scored the van for $6200 with 124k on the engine. Head has been > replaced! Body pretty good too-interior is excellent. > > Love all the goodies that came on the van! I could probably do without the > fiberglass bumpers, since the front one is cracked from a PO fender-bender > and looks ratty. But I'm not complaining! It's an automatic (my first). > The only trouble so far: power steering belt broke. Glad she is breaking us > in easy. > > I have some questions/comments that I would welcome advice on: > 1) I get about 17 mpg in the city and 20-22 on the highway. Is this normal > for this model? I may have to rethink using premium fuel so I don't go broke. > > 2) I have that damned oil light/buzzer problem. Luckily, I was reading > the list last time this came up, but the problem persists. Mechanic > replaced the dynamic sensor chip (board), and did all the Bentley tests. I > also had him read a couple of postings about where to find corrosion on the > wires and he checked all that (he says). Can't find problem, and now it is > evolving. When the temp guage reaches it's normal spot (just to left of > warning light), the oil buzzer goes off randomly and intermittently for > about 10-20 seconds each time and the warning light goes on (solid-not > blinking). If I rev the engine, it usually stops (but not always). After > the van has been at this temperature for about ten minutes, the oil light > begins to blink when not on the throttle. As soon as I hit the throttle, > the light stops blinking. By this time, the buzzing has stopped and does > not recur until the car has sat long enough to cool down completely (like > during the workday). Once the light starts blinking, behavior is consistent > (light blinks when throttle not engaged). > > I am ready to take the van to my local VW mechanic (the buzzer is driving me > crazy), but know I will have to spend some dough. I would really like to > have some idea of what the problem could be before I see the shop so I don't > end up replacing stuff that doesn't need it. Any suggestions on how to > chase this down? BTW, I have a dynamic sensor if someone needs it. > > Thank You, > Marna & Mike Evans > Santa Cruz, CA > > '89 Wolfy (Blanca) > '81 VW Truck with '86 GTI engine and interior - just rebuilt (Betsy #4).