Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 1997 12:42:54 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Gas Tank vent leak repair with tank installed 91 Carat.

My van had the dreaded gas tank leak. One list member said that this could be done without pulling the gas tank. They're right! Jack er up, support the thing, remove both front tires, and be patient. It took me about 1 hour start to finish.

The famed and flamed vent line breaks right at the tank, so you can actually reach in and feel the plastic fitting and the broken joint. Once you remove the A/C line support bracket and move the A/C hoses out of the way, My vent line broke at the drivers side "y" fitting, which I'll bet is the common break point, since it's the closeset to a retaining clamp on the vehicle.

After I began the repair I noticed that the "clamp" which I guess is used to keep the vent line up high, which is not needed since the vent line is made from ridged plastic pipe, anyway the clamp postion is fixed and really puts too much strain on the pipe, I feel it's this clamp's position and stressing the plastic pipe and plastic fittings that causes the damage. Next time my left front tire is off, I'm going to rig up some type of elastic shock absorbing clamp, to keep it from happening again.

I bought the vent line, since its ridged plastic the whole thing comes assebeled with the fittings installed, the two grommets, and you need 3' of 5.5 mm hose.To attach the second port of the fitting to the plastic tanks on either side of the van. The hoses are different lengths, but the book says 1 meter of hose is all that's needed for both sides.

Using the new vent line as a guide I located the smaller hoses and disconneted them. Then I removed the broken side fitting with small hose attached to measure the lenght needed for the new vent line. Put that amount of hose on the correct side, use the remaining hose on the other side.

I got the whole affair ready to go,and then I started from the passenger side of the van so I taped the driver's side new small line to passengers side old small line and then slowly pulled and fished the old line out and the new line in place at the same time.

To install the gromments I lubed the exterior part of them and the hole in the tank, then i jammed one on my finger and felt for the hole. This is the toughest part of the job. I dropped one and spent a few minutes fishing it out, don't panic, it's tight, and I'm 6'3" and 220lbs, and I still got my hands and arms in there. I used a standard drop light to "see" the hole and then felt my way toward it. I use a wet cloth to clean around the hole to avoid brushing excess dirt in the hole whilst I navigated by clumsy touch and contortion of the tight space.

Well that the gas tank vent line repairs. A dirty little job at best, If your capable of working in tight spaces, it much easier than dropping that whole fuel tank, at the worst it's best to try this first, if you can't get it, or talk a buddy into helping you get it done, then I guess dropping the tank is you only other option.

Sincerely Mark 91 Carat WE "Lazarus"