Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 1997 13:03:11 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      GRIPES about VW and Workarounds for parts issues.

Well I don't want to start a war, nor incite the ire of folk but I have a couple things that occured to me while putting my fog lamps on the van. That led to me just jotting down some other items. If you know a way around thess "gripes", I'm all ears. I'm saying this more of a mindsetting thing so I don't remake the same mistakes. Often it's cleary better to pay the price and get on with your life. But I try to consider a workaround if practicale. I suggest we continue to publish solid solutions which are equal to a dealer only part, and cost a fraction of the cost.

THE BENTELY MANUEL- Bently clearly states that their manual is intended for use by profession mechanics. I spoke to an active VW Vanagon trained technician, and he confimed that the manual leaves out "redundent" VW information, because they, the techs, would already know that. Case in point for me was what in the world do the electrical diagrams mean by 30, and X , and 15, and 58 and so on at the top of the power grid. Of course they refer to positive power, which positive power? Turns out that all VW's use 30 for Battery, X for the START position, 15 for the "run" position, and 31 for ground. He couldn't recall what 58 was supposed to be standardized for.

Can we as a group publish a list of "standardized" stuff the manuel leaves out and say index it by the "section". Ie electrical is section 97 and so on.

Secondaly, if VW is going make it so cheap on themselves at least give us a diagram to do the work by. Bently doesn't even acknowedlege Fog lamps in the 90 and on VAns, I don't know about the others.

Lastly I end this foment about secret coding. It seems that VW, aka, Benetly sell enough manuals to publish and addendum, so that the manual is useful to us. They suggest that the manual is of value to the owner so that we can't read it in order to more intelligently communicate and understand with VW service folk. Hump. How about using it to save money. I'm really stoked over their obscure instructions over bleeding the coolant system. This is absoulutly ludicrist.

The VW FUSE box. No fun here. I wanted to use the no. 5 fuse location for the fog lamps. Well it's dead. The VW tech, said yeah, those fog lamps things are a hassle on all of em. You have to wire the whole thing from scratch. Humph. Gosh I guess fog lamps just arn't that common so VW figures it would be an asinine waste of money to actually pre wire them in all the way. It's ludicrist that the don't a least power the buss to to fuse block. How many accountants do they have?

Does anyone have a workaround we can publish. It seems if there would be a push in type of bridge that would "connect" the fuse to the electical buss. If no one knows, or some one has a fuse box they can send me, I see what it takes to do it right.

Then we would need to know which number pin to tap off of the headlamp plug on the back of the fuse box.

I would like a VW p/n for their solderless crimp terminals, so I could go the rest of the way and just use their plug. Yes I can modify one, but why, it is already made.

I'll say this so I'll think twice about "circumventing" VW parts. It seems that VW engineers are a creative bunch, and would rather reinvent the wheel. So rather than our unique little vehicles being built by a large number of off the shelf items, VW make a unique one for itself. Yes I realize that one reason the Vanagon is so much fun is that it is unconvential and thus has some unconvential tooling

It is just apparant that VW controls the lisencing, and betting that the aftermarket won't invest in the tooling since the VW application is too narrow to recoup their cost. I feel VW loses, cause their in reinventing the WHEEL several losses occur. The consumers looses utility and cost of maintaining the things make it much more likely for boken things to stay that way unless absolutly needed or wanted. So a five year old VW looks like a street urchin despreatly in need of TLC. A poor image for the used car, then resale vaule is lower,and new sales taper off because of both effects. The after market loses, cause competition is resticted, and we lose by exhorbitant cost. The infamous sagging springs and their $500 cost among others. The post about a $2 million dollar replacement value still astonishes me.

I'm going to say that I looked into bypassing the issue of springs but was thwarted by their design, yeah I know get in line! It seems that coil of OEM springs are over 1" apart, and those wedgy things cant reach. I tried to use a "mr Gasket" 1" rubber plate. MY idea was to "bush" beneath the spring and thus get back some of my camber, cause you can't roatate tires that have been run out of camber on the back end, and then hope to have the van drive well because the tire tread is now "canted" and thus ruined for front end.

I'd consider researching this for a group purchase. I know a manufacture of helical springs. WE would need one new one to go off of, and then the will make 50 or more. Any takers.

All in all, I've done this auto repair thing a long time, have good tools, and understand much about mechanical apparatus, this littney of VW shortcomings suggests to me orchastrated corporate policy.

In my opinion, VW is the biggest loser, because their reputation is tainted by cars which American dealers really can't fix, owners sell cars just to get out from under them, and the correct notion that their cars are just plain a lot of extra trouble own. It sad VW dealerships appear on the decline, here. But unless corporate thinking changes, I feel the decline will continue.

The sad part for me, it that VW has been blessed with some honest creative engineering and has a different approach to transportation. I happen to agree, that you don't need to put a 300 hp engine in every car. Or that cars have to be rolling living rooms to comfortable. VW excells at design and sheetmetal fabrication among other things.

Corporate greed is choking them to death though. Hey VW, take care of the car owner, and you'll see a resurgance in American market. Put some muscle behind your mouth. Driver's wanted, well get a decent "pit crew" and maybe you won't have to whine about finding drivers for your cars. That's my sermon.

Sincerely Mark 91 Carat WE "Lazarus"