Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 1997 12:06:08 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: CV joints
Comments: To: bill@freeholder.com

Make sure the 12 point allen head tool is FIRMLY seated in the socket head cap screw!! Even to the point of cleaning the dirt and grease out of the cavity. Rounding off the innards of the cap screw will leav you cussing a blue streak. Using the Bentley mannual is a good idea for the r&r of the cv joint as the balls need to go back in their respective chambers. The John Muir book for the older VW's describes the procedure as well and is easier to read. Be sure to check for a bad case of "blue balls"(overheating) and scoring in the cage surfaces. Also, wearing latex or nitrile exam gloves while packing the grease in will keep yourr hands from getting really greasy and nasty.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel ---------- > From: freeholder bill <bill@FREEHOLDER.COM> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: CV joints > Date: Saturday, December 06, 1997 10:29 AM > > Well, my rebuild kits are in and I am going to remove my cv joints and see > if I can fix them up. They aren't making noise or anything, but a couple > of the boots are torn, so I want to clean and repack them. > > I have already discovered that I need a special tool (12 pointed star) to > remove the bolts, so while I look for one of those is there anything else I > need to know? > > It looks like I remove the six bolts from each end and just remove the > axels with cv joints attached. Is there anything tricky about this other > than the special tool and the fact that the bolts on the wheel end of the > axel are kind of awkward to reach? I have the van on ramps. Will this > work OK, or will I have to rotate the wheels? > > Once I have them off, it looks like a circlip holds each cv joint onto the > axel. Once it is apart, do I just clean them in kerosene and repack? > > The kits I got have boots, bolts, circlips, and special grease. Anything > else I need? > > Thanks, > > Bill (SE Arizona) (Bill@freeholder.com) > ---------------------------------------------------------- > You don't get peaches from an apple tree. > HTTP://www.freeholder.com