Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Dec 1997 21:46:35 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cooling System failure Prevention Idea.
Comments: To: mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>

We're experimenting with the orange GM/prestone extended life(5 yr/100k mi.) anti freeze that's only $6.50/gal @ Walmart. Phosphate free and at that pricetimes 2 1/2 jugs to water down for the 19 qt. cap. makes sense to me. I'm gambling a set of Boston Bob's rebuilt heads on it!!!!!

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

---------- > From: mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Cooling System failure Prevention Idea. > Date: Saturday, December 06, 1997 1:00 PM > > I just finished the flushing of my cooling system, then using Autobahn,and > distilled water to replenish it with. I guess that's a every two year job. > Some knowledgable people on this list have said that no one cure exisits > with regard to the corresion problem. Sevearal senarios have been posted as > to the coolant leak problems. I discussed the problem of corresion beneath > the head gasket with VW guy, who said he'd seen it on even engines that > weren't leaking, it was always present. Seeing the head gasket is basically > flexiable seal, I feel that perhaps a sealing problem is really the root > cause rather than a corrsion problem alone. > > I've thought a lot about this cooling system corresion problem and am ready > to say my piece. I'd suggest perhaps a short question-aire type response in > the future to really verify this theory. But in leiu of it I want to share > some ideas. I've tried to take every thought as far or extreme as I can to > explore the possibilities of this problem. So some effects may not be as > severe as I'm suggesting. I'm trying to get to a point of being able to > say that thus a so a condition is to be avoided and here's how to do it.