Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 1997 03:25:27 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil Temp. or Cylinder Head Temp?
Comments: To: Thing Guy <ThingGuy@AOL.COM>

I hate to keep bringing up Gene Berg's name, but his techical articles(all for about $8) are must see reading for any air cooled owner. Compaible C/R ratio to gas octane, compatible timing, and adequate fuel going to combustion chambers(not sure if VW FI can be modified or not, but I used dual 2 bbl Webers to get one venturi/cylinder on my 79 breadbox) but I'm not sure carbs will work inside the vanagon Air cooled compartment. I believe Mr. Berg recommended C/r under 7:1 with 91 octane fuel and 30 deg. total timing. I got over 100k out of my first overhaul using his suggestions and he didn't even fiddle w/ type IV motors.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

---------- > From: Thing Guy <ThingGuy@AOL.COM> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Re: Oil Temp. or Cylinder Head Temp? > Date: Saturday, December 06, 1997 10:50 PM > > In a message dated 12/5/97 1:20:08 AM, pmi@BLUEGRASS.NET wrote: > > <<I was wondering what you other list members think I should use : oil temp. > or cylinder head temp. to measure my air-cooled westy? I have had some over- > heating problems in the past and I would like to know the best way to monitor > the temp. Any help would be wonderful! ;) Also, I just got my OP gauge and > sender in today, looks like a weekend project for me. > > > > Paul>> > > I know a lot has been said regarding oil or head temp gauges. I was on the > side of the opinion that head temps are not as accurate and useful as oil > temp. I had this discussion with a pilot recently who changed my way of > thinking. He said most planes have head temp gauges. A head temp will give > you the earliest warning of a heat related problem. This will show up in the > head temp before you see it in the oil temp. Now of course this is much more > important when you're up in the air, but it still makes lots of sense to me. > > So my suggestion is that you get at least the oil-temp and if you are really > paranoid, get both. > > Steve > '74 Campmobile > New Side Tents at: <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/tentinfo/index.html"> > http://members.aol.com/tentinfo</A>