Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 1997 05:51:15 -0800
From:         Lund <wlund@TELIS.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Motor Theory For Dummies

There is one company which releases service manuals on CD-ROM. They do have ones for the Vanagon from 1985-up. Can't remenber the name.

My own thoughts on the Vanagon motor: I have owned four VW vans. One was a 78 Westy with AC. It was a real tank. I experienced motor meltdown when the rear oil galley plug popped out(a design flaw which VW will not acknowledge). The next was a 78 Bus which was a real fast runner. My wife made me sell it because she was not happy with the lack of heat in the winter. The third was 85 Westy weekender with MTs. My biggest conplaint was the lack of power. My present van is an 88 GL which size and performance wise I am very happy with(my wife loves the AT and cruise control.) AS to the Vanagon motor: You half to ask yourself why VW put Rabbit engines in the breadloafs down in Mexico. Cost and reliabilty I think our the main factors. With the Rabbit engine the Vanagon is still underpowered. I have driven the Kennedy Engineering Subaru Vanagon and thought it was a great conversion. Plenty of power(even with AT). I am saving my pennies to do this conversion within the next year.