Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 1997 14:50:49 -0800
From:         Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@DCN.DAVIS.CA.US>
Subject:      Re: Mexican VW Van Trannys
Comments: To: KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Comments: cc: veedubber@AOL.COM

Ken wrote:

> But these Mexican Vans are set up for using the > watercooled golf and jetta motors right? So the tranny would fit right in a > aircooled van and be the right gearing for the engine and save a lot of > hassle in the conversion process.

I don't know whether the Mexican Kombi uses the inline 4-cyl. engine in the upright (like a Fox/Audi) or in the laid over (like a Vanagon diesel) position. I also don't know which transmission it uses, the Type 2 with the bus type shifter, or the 091 early Vanagon trans. with side mount shifter. Previous posts on the Type 2 list imply that the Vanagon transmission is not a bolt-in fit to the bus. Motor mounts are another unknown.

Has anyone out there looked underneath a new Mexican Kombi? Anybody have pictures?

Kombi trivia: I saw a mid-70's Westy here in No. Calif. that had a square black grille on the front. I thought it was one of the Mexican water cooled, until the owner explained that he had bought the grille in Mexico and installed it using sheet metal screws (no radiator). Anyway, the grille, at least, is a perfect fit on the front of a Type 2.

===================================== Mike Catlin <mjcatlin@dcn.davis.ca.us> Davis, California, USA