Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 1997 16:48:32 -0000
From:         Tony Smith <wordsmith@WRITEME.COM>
Subject:      Cylinder Heads - Again

Okay,

I know that this subject has been bashed around a lot, I have read a bazillion back-posts, but I need to know...

I was losing coolant so I took my '87 Westy to the dealer who said;

1. I needed a new head gasket. 2. My used vehicle warranty would not cover repairs due to a failed gasket (Shoulda read the fine print). 3. A cheap fix would be to add sealant (Alumaseal) to the coolant.

So, I said okay, add the sealant. They did... it seems to have worked. The antifreeze level stays put. I changed the oil and filter also (Something I do with all my vehicles every 1,000 mile - cheap insurance).

A local independent VW mechanic will get all the repair work from now on. I told him my story saying I am not comfortable with the sealant job and want the heads done this spring. He says that he would never replace only the heads in a case such as this. His experience is a high in come-backs as the leaks have always done something to the engine and the something will croak the engine soon after.

Only real fix, he says, is to change the entire engine ($5,000 CDN). Wow!

Two questions:

1. Is the Alumaseal a good fix? 2. Is the engine change vs. only heads a common and reasonable practice?

Engine conversion looks like a better idea so...

Anyone know who does engine conversions in south-west British Columbia?

Tony Smith '87 Westy - Heidi wordsmith@writeme.com web site www3.bc.sympatico.ca/wordsmith