Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 1997 23:14:38 EST
From:         SyncroHead <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tornado Air Management System
Comments: To: ehretrm@seanet.com

In a message dated 97-12-07 15:14:34 EST, ehretrm@seanet.com writes:

<< ><< I would like to hear from waterboxer owners that are using the Tornado air > device. Any pros or cons? Roger 90 Syncro Westy >> > >Preliminary testing in my two Vanagons showed a diminishment of prerformance >with the Tornado installed. > >Regards, >Jim Davis >87 GL Syncro >88 GL Wolfsburg > Jim, I'm suprised. Have you kept the Tornado installed or did you return them. Now that I've just replaced the oxy sensor, I should test w/o the Tornado and see what results are. What were your results, poorer mpg and/or power? >>

I bought just one Tornado. The VW dealer I bought it from went out of business a few weeks after the purchase and Tornado had no interest in returning my money directly.

I did several timed acceleration runs up a hill near home. In the automatic '88, I started at a fixed point and floored the van for the duration of the run up the hill, about a 70 second trip. The hill was steep enough to never need to let up on the pedal. Average of 6 runs WITH the Tornado was 1.18 minutes. Average of 4 runs withOUT the Tornado was 1.17 minutes, slightly better. All runs were completed within about 45 minutes without any significant changes in temperature or weather.

When I did similar tests in my 87 Syncro with similar results. For the Syncro I used a 30 MPH running start, floored it and did not shift for the duration of the test so as to take out as many variables as possible.

Putting the device back into the '88 I noticed no significant change in MPG over many months. The general trend for MPG was slightly getting lower both before and after the installation of the Tornado.

Regards, Jim Davis