Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 09:23:46 -0400
From:         Marcus Elia <jdeck@TRENTU.CA>
Subject:      coolant off the oil filter
Comments: To: turinsky@JUNO.COM

I had the same problem-- Interestingly it coincided with a loud, unusual whirring that got worse every day: The coolant pump! It was giving up the ghost and increasing amounts of precious coolant with it.

The way to tell if your pump is dying is: -check the tension on the belt that runs the pump: Should be tight-tight! (technical term) -After the van has been sitting overnight or longer: Give yourself a few extra minutes _before_ starting the engine; do a preliminary check underneath to locate the spot where the pump attaches to the engine. Dry or wet? Any drops on the oil filter? -Start the engine and run back to look underneath again at the pump and oil filter (some would warn you to wear safety glasses! I guess I just did too.) Please make sure the brakes are on tight!! (having kids has made me absolutely nutty about safety). -As noted in a previous post, if the pump is lunched, it may leak coolant as soon as it starts pumping it, dribbling down over the oil filter. -Replacing the pump is a whole other archive, the likes of which I'm sure exists somewhere. There are brand-new pumps and re-conditioned ones, and installing it requires flushing the coolant system. Yet another archive unto itself!

I was quite chuffed to have spotted this problem myself... I quite promptly pointed it out to my mechanic! I would love to start DIYing (Do-It-Yourself) but with two small kids at home with me all day I have little time for such fun. I am asking for a torque-wrench and jack-stands for Christmas, though.

Hoping this adds insight,

Marcus Elia '84 Westy (Dela)