Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:26:22 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Re: heads: corrosion and leak prevention discussion.

Greetings Tim,

Thanks for the response.

Your explanation of crevice corresion seems to be saying that when a properly prepared coolant, one that still has good anti-corrsive qualities, is put in an isolated enviroment, here sandwiched between aluminum and rubber, that it quickly becomes "exhausted" and then the exhausted liquid is very corresive. I'm assuming this is a residue, since the liquid may be steamed out once the engine is hot. Ok, so much for how the damage occurs. What do we consider to keep the coolant from getting under the gasket?

The cylinder head I was shown, had been removed from a NON LEAKING engine. It revealed corresion, across the entire surface, suggesting to me that the corresion was not eating it's way to the outside world, so that it would look like a very depleted area from the water jacket to the point of failure.

This corresion was VERY consistent across the entire flat surface. I confess I didn't not check for a line where the metal gasket surrounding the cylinders or the O-ring line, so I cannot say unequivocally that the corresion extended into those areas. The part that stunned me was that there was not a area of excessive depletion by corresion on the edge of the head closest to the water jacket, but that the corresion pattern suggested that coolant was actually getting beneath the seal, and then setting up crevice corresion as you pointed out.

So, we are still left with preventing the coolant from getting beneath that seal. I would hold to the idea that the seal is much more easily compromised when the engines is cold, AND, operated at High RPMS which would generate maximum water pressure, and thus force the coolant beneath seal. As it was pointed out, those flexiable seals are not just relying on clamping force but on an adhesive to keep coolant from intruding. I would concluded that the seal is vunerable in low engine tempatures ranges, that is before the aluminum water jackets expand,and clamping force is at an operational value.

I would still say that the unique conditions, of the vanagon,and the engine's operational RPM excerabate the compromised situation of a cold and thus unexpanded cylinder water jacket/ head area to the flexibale seal. Plainly stated, it's easy to get in the van, crank it up, and be turning 3000 + RPMs before complete expansion of the water jackets takes place. Couple that to an aggressive water pump, which has a big job to do, and a cold viscous liquid, and you get hydralic pressure, which penentrates beneath the cold flexibale seals.

The design of an aluminum water jacket, and it's expansion related to the steel cylinder liner would seem to create a sealing and warpage problem for the head. Depending on the relationship of the steel stud to the steel cylinder liners and the edges of the aluminum water jacket surfaces. I imagine that some type of give has to occur when the engine's temperature changes. My thinking it that the outside seal would get this responsibility and is less resilient at low temperatures and thus more prone to invasion by hydralic pressure.

So we are back to: How do we keep this head area surrounding the water jacket un-molested by coolant? My reasoning is that be gentle with the motor until it is warm enough for the aluminum to expand and bring the clamping force up to an operational value, then coolant will not be force beneath the seals.

I realize that my suggest is that we as drivers practice an active type of management,ie wait until the engine temp is say at least showing some movement on it's guage, which is relatively uncommon in typical cars. Ie, usually we just get in, fire up, and take off. As a helicopter pilot, in both piston and turbine powered aircraft, it seemed I was always practicing some active management of a temperature or rpm range. This practice is very common in all of aviation, because light alloys are used and the limits are pushed, much like in the vanagon. Perhaps the same type of active management would reduce cylinder head corrosion in the wasserbox.

>Hi Mark, > >the head problem is due to 'crevice corrosion', where a small region of >coolant is trapped, in our case under the gaskets. this sets up >localized corrosion pockets, electrolytic action is way higher than in >the main coolant. Using soft gaskets in any corrosive environement is >an absolute 'no-no' in the corrosion engineering field. I teach this >stuff. VW adapted an aircooled, they didn't design a wasser engine. >They didn't have a corrosion engineer around at the time I'd guess. The >head is clamped tightly onto steel barrels, unusual to leak there, but >the much larer expansion of the aluminium water jackets needs somewhere >to grow. Heads the fat soft gaskets. Bad move. Subaru designed a wasser >engine from scratch, head bolts to 'block' with usual stiff head gaskets >that seal fully under high preload. Subaru engines go 300K kms before >overhaul, and never leak to my knowledge. bye, Tim

Respectfully, Mark Keller 91" Carat WE "Lazarus"