Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:32:44 -0900
From:         "Kevin J. Turinsky" <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Coolant - What color?

OK, Thanks to all who have responded to quickly to my coolant leak problem. I'm constantly amazed at how helpful you all are. I hope that someday after I graduate from my Newbie status, I'll be able to pass some tips and insight around to others in need. Because of your advice, I've not panicked...yet.

Well, the problem looks like it could be: Old hoses, Coolant pump, Oil cooler, Plastic coolant tank. I'll check them all out later today after work. Now, Darrell Boehler wrote saying that maybe my coolant shouldn't be GREEN!!! What color is it supposed to be? Man, I don't know if the PO was paying attention to the manual (The guy's nearly 85 years old) when it says, "Phosphate Free Only". (My Syncro STILL has the little tag on the coolant fill tank, the one behind the license plate, that says phosphate free only. How can you miss that? And he had it serviced at the VW dealer he bought it from!)

Anyway, what color is the proper coolant for Vanagons? He probably didn't even know it needs to be changed regularly.

Hasta

Kevin...turinsky@juno.com "Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" 61:10:42 North 149:11:11 West Elevation: 101 feet