Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:50:31 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator out at *high* rpms?

At 09:07 AM 12/8/97 -0500, you wrote: > I'm a bit worried about electrical output at all rpms, as I noticed >that while cruising at 65 the dash lights were dim, and the fuel and temp >gauges were reading a bit low (note to self on road: get electrical >gauges for project van). Oddly enough, if I let the engine cycle down >towards idle (clutch in, foot off of gas pedal, goin' downhill) something >went right, and the dash lights got a notch brighter and the temp gauge >moved back to its normal range. When I took the engine back up to speed >to maintain 65, it all dims again.

Bob -

Problem you described happens a lot more to the earlier generations of VW's equipped with generators (is there a pun here?), particularly in the brush area, where the brushes wear down and then off the commutator/slip ring.

A similar problem happened when owning a 80 Vanagon awhile back, lights would dim at (or just below) highway speed. Checked battery and alternator connections, everything looked good. Intensifying the problem was I just couldn't keep the battery up either. But the dash lights did not come on as you mention, but everything else was just a-dimming along so to speak, so I apparently I wasn't getting a full charge.

Disconnected the battery and pulled the Voltage Regulator/Brush Assembly. Sure enough, the brushes were shot all to hell, hardly anything left. Used an inspection mirror to check the slip ring (the rotating surface the brushes ride on) and it was smooth and OK, no grooves. Replaced the VR/Brush Assembly and that cured the problem.

When assembling the 2.1 for my 84 Westy earlier this year, the knowledge/experience of this problem was still fresh in my mind and I made the effort to remove the VR from the back of the alternator to check the brushes. They and the slip ring were in very good shape, so I saved a little money for now on that. ------------------------------------------------------- For those runnin' on the cheap:

The "Button (Hybrid) Style" Voltage Regulator/Brush Assembly from Bosch ain't cheap either - $53.85 (Bosch 30 091, VW 068-903-803B). Bosch has not listed a separate set of brushes in their catalog for this type of regulator since intro'd in 1982 for Vanagons and other watercooled models. However they are available from VW for a very affordable price - $2.55/set (at last report) (VW 049-903-515C). If you or a friend are good with a soldering iron, you can replace the brushes yourself and save $50 or so, if that is the problem. Be careful not to burn up the regulator!

Note: You won't find these brushes listed in the 80-85 Parts Film. Had to look in the 86-later parts film and then doublecheck the listings for the same "Button" VR's for the other watercooled models in other films to determine these were the correct sized (13mm length) brushes. VW just loves to hide stuff!

Jim Thompson Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@oldvolkshome.com Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax)

84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon