Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:36:55 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant - What color?

Kevin,

Sorry to have forgotten this on my first reply-

I pested the Bus Depot for some cooling hose prices when I decided it was time to rehose my '84. Due to time constraints, I havent had the time for web surfing so I don't know if Herr Salmon put up a list or not, but just to be safe, check it out at www.busdepot.com and see. I ought to take my own advice here- coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Some caveats on sourcing hoses:

DON'T be fooled by the wall full of radiator hoses on the wall of your local auto parts store; the only Vgon hoses I could find for mine were from NAPA and they went from front to rear. It is easier to find '86 and up hoses, though; so you may luck out.

DON'T go to the dealer; my pitiful heater hose cost $40 and I had to wait for the damn thing to take three weeks to come all the way von Deutschland. Seriously! To be fair, the staff were really cool and did the best they could to be helpful.

DON'T leave any hoses out when you replace them; they're probably ALL rotten like mine. I don't care how big your bill is; when (not if, when) that hose you forgot blows, you'll have to get a new one anyway on the Buying A Used Car Piece By Piece Payment Plan, plus the towing bill if none of your friends can tow you.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to replace a hose, but it does take an idiot to knock into something and screw it up. This should be obvious, but sometimes needs to be repeated (not that I don't trust you.)

Best of luck!

Sam

"Just as original as the original=just as many ideas appropriated from VW as the first time"