Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:12:08 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: (a cooling system saga) -long
Comments: To: Eric Small <Eric_Small@SABRE.COM>

Eric;

Even draining per Bentley leaves a lot in the cooling system - long hoses and all. What I've tried (on a COLD system) is to drain per Bentley & capture the stuff for proper disposal (natch), then pull the thermostat so water can circulate freely, button it back up without the thermostat, and pull the hose off the rear of the right head. Put a garden hose in the open hose and just do a water purge trough the system & out the head until all is clear. Let it drain and repeat. There are flow paths through both the engine and radiator this way. (With my water pressure and the non-sealed connections little pressure is applied in this. - your situation may be different.) Then I blew it out with an air compressor hose (regulated to 20 psig) and got most of the remaining water out.

Then put the thermostat back in. (If you are an Aggie you should tie the thermostat around your neck when you first take it out. If someone asks you what it is in the next few days - read this step again.)

Of course this leaves some "city" water in the system, and I'd prefer to use only distilled - but it should flush out any corrosion products held in suspension in the fluid before they would drop out and clog the radiator. (Been there.)

I would NOT use a commercial radiator flush chemical or high pressure - the system is fragile.

Chances are if you have them repeat the drain and fill again you will be as good as you can get. I'd watch more for a radiator clog than any greater chance of corrosion from this. The corrosion will eventually happen anyway. If you don't have overheating problems develop - don't worry about the situation. It still sounds like your dealer may be better than the one in Austin.

I'll show you the heads from my '91 - which always had VW antifreeze changed /2 yrs - and you'll see the corrosion pattern around the inside edge of the gasket. They look about the same as my '87 at the same age - and it had half it's life with "whatever" brand when the W.P. went in mid-vacation trip. However the '87 soon began overheating until I changed the radiator - while the '91 has always stayed cool.

Tom Austin, TX