Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 1997 01:47:41 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: What an idiot I was... (a cooling system saga) -long
Comments: To: Eric Small <Eric_Small@SABRE.COM>

I may have screwed up, but I cut the front heater core hose up by the front tire of my 90 GL and put one of those Prestone t's in there. By hooking up the garden hose to that T(yes there is a small area where the t can go in and by turing the wheel all the way to the right, you caan asccess the threads easily), opening up both heaters, and popping the expansion cap off, with a little time and a warm engine you 'd be amaze how clear that water will run after a while. From there, bleed off two gallons from your favorite hose or drain hole, and then add the full strrength phos free coolant and then save some to bleed the air and you should be done w/it. Now, I need some gurus to shoot holes in this method. My GL had many miles of driving w/ pressure and oily scum in the coolant tank, so I wanted everything pristine.TIA Bullwinkle

---------- > From: Eric Small <Eric_Small@SABRE.COM> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: What an idiot I was... (a cooling system saga) -long > Date: Tuesday, December 09, 1997 3:08 PM > > First a brief background.... I had a coolant line break on the way home from > work a week ago and was (un?)fortunately able to pull into a NAPA store before > it emptied or overheated. I replaced the split 5/16" hose (OEM hose is a close > metric equivalent) with stock fuel line and filled the system up with 2gal 50/50 > NAPA brand coolant/water. > > My first thought was that I now need to purge my cooling system at the nearest > opportunity and fill with Autobahn(sp?) phosphate free coolant. > > Having a bad cold... I elected to pay a local Dallas VW dealer the $95 to do it > for me. I quizzed the service mgr on how they would go about the job and he > seemed to know the Bentley prescribed method. > > But... as I watched the mechanic (I always go out into the shop and make small > talk with the mechanic while inconspicuously watching every -some times stupid- > thing he does) I became very disappointed. He drained the system by removing > the large hose off the engine side of the thermostat housing (I cringed while he > pried the hose against the expensive plastic thermostat housing with a big screw > driver) then put air pressure to the expansion tank (blowing coolant all over > the inside of my pristine van). He assured me that this method would completely > drain the system but in fact I would say from the coolant on the floor and in > his catch tray he had only drained about 2 gals of the 18.6qts in the system! > > He then refilled with 2gals 50/50, Autobahn/water. He didn't even lift the nose > to bleed insisting that it was unnecessary. > > After it was over (kinda like a dentist appointment) I told the service manager > what the mech had done and not done. We argued a bit about the coolant capacity > of the van and the correct procedure to drain/fill until I got him to look at > his own Bentley manual. As it was late he told me he would charge me only $45 > now and I should come back and he would have the shop foreman do it by the book > for the balance of the $95. > > Moral of the story... Dont get lazy... do it your self... You'll only end up > redoing what they did wrong or fixing what they broke. (There are great mechs > out there. I knew one in Atlanta at Specialized Import Service, but if you dont > know the mech, your taking a chance -Anybody know a GREAT mech in Dallas, TX?) > > Question 1... Using the Bentley method for draining the cooling system (vague at > best) is it possible to drain close to the entire 18.6 qts? Does anybody have > hard experience in this? I found lots of general discussion in the archives but > no step by step method. > > Q2... The VW service manager advised the system not be flushed -too fragile. Any > comments? > > Q3...What would you do? Is it sufficient to have replaced only 2 of the 4.5 > gals? Should I go back (cringe) and let them have another try? > > Thanks, > Eric Small > Dallas, TX > '86GL