Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 1997 23:13:26 -0600
From:         Tonya Pope <tonya@MSMM.COM>
Subject:      replacing fuel lines

Okay all,

I'm biting the bullet. A few list down-times ago (sorry admins, just joking with ya, you're doing great!), I wrote to the list about a fuel leak. Well, I haven't been able to save up enough money to have the van towed in to a mechanic ($100+ just for the tow), so I've decided to bite the bullet and attempt to replace the things myself. I figure, worst case, I'll have to get it towed in to the mechanic. So, why not give it a try. I've replaced other things and other hoses on it, so it shouldn't be too much harder.

There's a mechanic (that I DON'T do business with anymore) in Baton Rouge that used to do a fax-on-demand type thing. I'm hoping he still does, and I can get him to fax me the proper pages of the Bently for whatever he charges. I'd rather do business with someone on the list, so if there's someone here that would do the same, let me know.

Obviously, I don't have a Bently. One day ...

I figure I might as well replace as much as I can. I know the tank is bone dry (if anyone recalls my earlier posts, it lost 3 or more gallons within 3 miles of my home and was flat out empty). Filter and pump are both fairly new, so don't think I need to fool with those.

Any words of wisdom out there? Advice? Does the Bently tell me all I need to know about replacement hoses? Advice there? Anyone know about what lengths of what sizes/kinds I need? Or should I just look for the bad one and leave the rest alone? Will I need to jack it up (i.e. put it on some stands of sorts -- that ought to be fun with no gas)? I'm imaging that it would make things easier with the limited clearance underneath, but is it required?

I've done a limited search of the archives with no real success. Any links would be appreciated if you know of them.

Thanks all!!! Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle