Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Dec 1997 14:15:57 EST
From:         JBrian65 <JBrian65@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Something is wrong.

I have had the vanagon running at advanced timing for a week now and it is ideling really bad. I get some knocking going on now. I have had to return the timing to the correct settings. The knocking is going away now but the miss in idle is still there. The van runs ok but has no pick up. I press the accelerator and it feels like there is something causing it restrict the flow of fuel to the engine. Also, I get a real strong emmission smell coming out the exhaust and it is causing some concerns with my family. it completely fills the carport with fumes. I cannot imagine i would be here if i had to start it up in a garage! I have had the fuel mixture set by a garage many times( too many too count)and the problem still persists. O2 sensor? replaced with a new one. All the wires in the engine compartment have all been moved away from any surface in contact with them. Could a loose wire in the idle stabilizer connection be causing the rough idle? i checked it out and the engine cut out on me when i was checking the connection, leads me to beleive that the wire inside the connector is loose and may be sending intermittent signals.