Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 02:35:16 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: VDO senders and oil pressure
Comments: To: Bob O'Shaughnessy <oshaug@INFINET.COM>

Bob: See my post dated 11/1 on VDO gauge. IMHO, forget he dual sender. I T-ed in the original vw switch with a series of 1/8 " brass pipe fittings and even got the VDO sender to fit inbetween the 3/4 intake pushrod tubes w/ strategically placed 45 degree elows with notrimming of the shroud underneath. I think your blinking red light troubles are related to using the dual sender as opposed to the original. My single sender VDO unit and the stock VW switch work perfectly.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel ---------- > From: Bob O'Shaughnessy <oshaug@INFINET.COM> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: VDO senders and oil pressure > Date: Monday, December 01, 1997 8:40 PM > > Well, the project van is running, the engine probably only has 30min > or so on it, enough for the paint to start burning off of the S&S exhaust > and for me to fill the cooling system and get the engine tuned up. > I'm gonna go up this weekend and put it though a break-in cycle to > get the rings seated, but until then I'm having a little niggling problem. > I wired a VDO oil pressure gauge up with the dual sender and the > extension hose. I wasn't entirely clear on which post the gauge was to > be wired and which kept the idiot light wire. They are labeled S and WK > (I'm pretty sure of that, but the van is 50 miles away and I didn't write > it down). I wired the gauge to the S terminal and the WK to the idiot > light. > The gauge is reading about what I'd expect, about 60lbs cold at idle > (10W30, new bottom end) settling down to the 20-30 range. > The idiot light, unfortunately is a bit weird. It doesn't give its > normal test routine, blinking continuously, but not buzzing with the > ignition on and the engine off. It goes off when I start the engine, but > comes back on and buzzes a few minutes after I start the engine and rev > it. (It doesn't come on if I keep the engine at or near idle) All the > time, the gauge reads plenty of oil pressure. > > Any ideas? > > _________________________________________________________ > > Bob O'Shaughnessy > 84GL, 85GL project (Now Running!!! Waiting for tags!) (Mine) > 82 Diesel L with carbed Rabbit engine (belongs to friend) > 74 Bus (Dad's) > 72 Wife, 94 Rabbit, 95 Cat, 96 cat.