Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 05:51:24 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      Re: '81 Heater control cable question
Comments: To: "young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU"
          <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>

Tom & the List:

The front heater control panel does indeed just pry off. A couple of tips will help though. Remove the tips of the control levers first (remember which color goes where). Pry the cover off evenly. It has round plastic prongs at both ends, and prying off one side at a time stresses the prongs. It comes off pretty easily.

Removing the ash tray greatly increases the visibility of the interior of the control cables, along with the increased access gained.

Removing the instrument cover does help the access. I've done that so many times, I can do it while driving! OOPS, you didn't read that. Unless you also remove the instruments themselves you don't gain much access. Try it without first, as removing the main electrical connector to the instrument panel can lead to damage to the panel side connector, BTDT.

The two control cables eventually connect to the single control lever. They attach differently. One is pretty straightforward, the other is a little convoluted and can easily bend if the cable binds in the sheath. I was unable to fix the bending problem, so compromised the adjustments to allow the flap to close in the summer, but not fully open. I'll have to re-adjust for winter use.

A couple of things to check on while in there:

The sheath for the cables can break and lend themselves to weird movements. In lieu of replacing them I opted for an in-place fix. I split a slightly smaller OD piece of tigon (or similar) tubing and slipped it over the cracked area. I then put some shrink wrap over the split tubing to compress the tubing onto the sheath. The shrink-wrap was longer than the tubing to provide some resistance to movement.

Lubricating the cables is a very difficult feat. I have a adapter that allows the tip of a spray lube tube to be inserted and clamped onto the cable. It closes (supposedly) off the cable end and the sheath end together and allow the spray to get into the space between. Whew - harder to describe than to use! Found at motorcycle shops for lubing control cables. I was able to get lube through one cable, but not the other. I recommend using a cable lube found at the motorcycle shop also, made for lubing cables, light weight grease. Be cautious when using this set-up, if you have a leak, the spray gets everywhere. Cover with a rag and look for leaks, you'll have some, just a matter of how much.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxe! '80 Westi (2) '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com - - - - - - - - -snip - - - - - - - - Hi all:

It appears that the woven steel-wire cable which connects to my right heater control flap is stretched; at least it looks that way, though that doesn't seem possible.

The manual is not at all clear on how the two control cables eventually connect up to the control lever. Do they meet somewhere and connect to one cable that runs up to the control lever, or do both somehow attach directly to the lever?

The manual also says the way to get the trim plate covering the levers off is to "ply with a screwdriver." Do I need to remove the instrument cluster to work on the cable/lever connections after "plying?"