Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:36:56 -0400
From:         Scott Chen <mac.chen@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Groovey Pulley (long)

What I thought would be an easy fix has turned into a nightmare...While searching for a replacement engine last year for my '84 westy, I came across someone who ran a VW/Audi repair shop who had bought several VW engines at an auction. The story goes that these engines were pulled from the line and used as static displays at an automotive school, and this school eventually sold the engines for auction. Anyway, the Vanagon 1.9 was new, not rebuilt, and complete from exhaust to clutch, from oil pan to intake manifold, including an alternator and starter. The shop was reputable, I talked to customers who had bought the other engines, and the price was a steal, and so it was installed. It's been running great with the exception that I noticed the crank pulley was a little off kilter, and it eventually got to the point where it was throwing the belt. The theory goes that it was possibly bent during handling and/or installation and got progressivley worse. I went to VW to get a new pulley, they all scratched their heads and said they'd never seen a single belt pulley...luckily, the part number is stamped right on it. They said it was on back order, could be a week, could be a month. Thanks. Ron confirmed that VW didn't have any in sight and it would probably be awhile. Kyle basically said the same. After several phone calls, all met with "are you sure it's single groove?" I decided to use a double groove which I've been told will fit fine. Someone mentioned the single groove pulleys were used on European spec engines. Based on the origination of the engine this may be a possibility. If so, are there any other differences? I'm only running an alternator and water pump and they're both in line so I don't know why a double groove would be needed. So-can someone with a 1.9 Westy with no A/C or power steering peek and let me know how many grooves are on your crank pulley? I though this was a no-brainer, the single groove pulley is clearly shown on Bentley 13.33. A double isn't even mentioned! Were they for vans with A/C and no power steering? I know they exist because there was a double groove on the engine I replaced. Anyway, thanks in advance. I certainly don't want this to turn into another "is your engine cover metal or fiberglass?" debate, but based on the reception I got when asking about a single groove pulley, I certainly am curious.

Scott '84 westy