Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:51:32 +0000
From:         "Rick Sherrod (Certifiable VW mech)" <kdf_cars@MYLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Conversion Commotion

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 21:24:54 -0500 From: Jim DiGennaro <limbo@BCN.NET> Subject: Re: Conversion Commotion

Hi Volks, I see many posts about converting waterboxer vanagons to other forms of power plants and I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in on the subject. Don't even think of bring it to a dealer for service, they'll laugh you out of the shop. (many smaller shops will too) So now you have to do ALL the work. Maybe for you thats fine too. It might get old after a while. I guess what I'm saying is stick with what you got. Or as least keep it VW. My bus looks stock and all the parts come right from Volkswagen. So replacements are easy to get.

-Jim Digennaro --------------------------------------------------------------------- LiMBO, The Late Model Bus Organization, international

WELL SAID, JIM!

THAT HAS NEEDED SAYING FOR A WHILE, AND I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE COULD HAVE SAID IT BETTER THAN YOU DID!

Believe it or not, I feel the exact same as you do about the whole Hybrid Vanagon subject. The Chevy V6 Vanagon project that I am doing now is a second hand, step child of a project if there ever was one. Yet the simple fact is that I need it. Yes. I'm going to ask some things of this van that noone could ever ask of any other Vanagon except a Oettinger 6Boxer van, and that is to tow other Vanagons on a car trailer. If I had to start this project myself from a broken, complete Vanagon Diesel, I would simply find a Corrado motor and fuel system to install and be done with it and keep it VW. Fortunately, I had a seized V6 Hybrid to start with and I'm going for broke with this one, 'cause how bad could I possibly screw it up? When I'm done with it I'll either have a nice towing Van or a very ugly (colored) massive paperweight to irritate my unworthy neighbors. ;-D

I would never do this to a complete Vanagon of my own free will, but ironically, I am willing to assist others before they unwittingly founder in their own Hybrid projects.

-- Rick Sherrod Macon, GA