Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Dec 1997 02:46:13 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Tow Bar - Custom Made for Vanagons

Attention - All Tow Bar Devotees:

I have recently completed a 1500 mile tow of a 91 Carat using a custom crafted bumper bracket that allows any 4 speed Vanagon to be effortlessly towed with a standard tow bar. After this initial tow, I discovered that my tow bar bumper bracket will fit earlier Vanagons, even those with different appearing bumpers. It is now attached to my 84 parts Van, a hook up which took about 30 minutes to accomplish.

The major advantages are cost savings (either purchase or rental) and less towed weight. A 2 wheel tow dolly weighs about 500-800 pounds, and a 4 wheel auto transporter trailer runs 1500-2000 pounds, according to my U-Haul dealer. They are also expensive to rent if you need them for multiple days or one way tows.

Gross towed weight is especially important if your tow vehicle is smaller and/or less powerful than a full size pick-up. For instance, if you are careful, you can even tow one Vanagon behind another Vanagon. (This can be a frequent occurance for those of us who own anything out of warranty, and fear using up our yearly allotment of AAA tows.)

The tow bar also is imensely superior in safety and convenience as compared to a tow chain or strap. Additionally, a tow bar only requires one driver, which may be reason enough to choose it over other methods.

The apparent difficulty in using a tow bar (which generally attaches to the front bumper of the towed vehicle) is the fancy plastic or shiny chrome bumpers that adhere to the front of most Vanagons, which would initially appear to preclude the use of a tow bar.

The major conceptual leap is to simply unbolt the bumper and behold the box frame behind it. Then you realize that it is almost impossible to run long bolts all the way through the box frame, so that the frame can be attached securely to the tow bar.

What to do? Please notice that the box frame has two holes near each end, about 1/2 " in diameter. Leap # 2 involves obtaining 2 u-shaped 3/8" bolts, 3" long, 1 7/8 " inside spacing (center to center). Amazingly, the bolts can be manuevered right into the already exisiting holes in the box frame. (Naturally, the threaded ends of the u-bolts should protrude out to the front, while the curved portion is securely inside the box frame.) Hold the u-bolts carefully or they may slide into the box frame abyss and necessitate an emergency trip to the hardware store. (Although this didn't happen to me, I did come clsoe several times.)

You now appear to have a way to fasten the Van to your tow bar. Just attach the tow bar to the u-bolts with nuts, and maybe use some of that 1/4" by 3" steel bar (which is referenced below) as an attachment device. Cut two 6" lengths of the 3" bar (one for the right, one for the left). Drill 4 holes of appropriate diameter in this bar. The center two will bolt to the u-bolts. The outside two will bolt to the tow bar attachments.

However, if your tow bar is similar to the Rigid Hitch/U Haul version, it will not open far enough to reach the u-bolts (which are at a predetermined space at each end of the bumper box frame). So, go visit your local steel scrap yard and buy a 1/4 " thick by 3" steel bar, cut to about 5' 4'' in length. Then bend it to closely approximate the curve of the bumper box frame. Bending is really quite easy, if you put one end under a solid object (such as the steel frame of a garage hoist), and apply appropriate leverage. Just don't try and bend it all at once. As the Wicked Witch of the North said, "These things must be done delicately."

CAREFULLY MEASURE AND DRILL appropriately placed holes in the long steel bar to fit the u-bolts. (The u-bolts are fixed in size and place, so this is the most critical portion of the project.) Also CAREFULLY measure and drill holes in the long steel bar to fit the ends of the tow bar. (This isn't as critical as the tow bar is hinged and is adjustable to various widths.)

If you are insistent about not scratching the never-to-be-seen-again bumper box frame, you can cut 4" by 8" pieces from an old tire, drill/cut spacer holes for your u-bolts, and place the tire sections (as a sort of a protective large washer) on the u-bolts, between the box frame and the long steel bar.

Bolt the u-bolts to the long bar. Bolt the tow bar ends to the long bar. Attach the tow bar to the tow bar ends (it comes this way for ease in removal and storage). Fit the tow bar securely to your hitch. Attach safety chains. NOW, STAND BACK AND ADMIRE YOUR HANDIWORK.

If you are going any distance, and especially if you will be in traffic or at night, get some lights and hook them up in a similar fashion to those used on utility or boat trailers. (A dual filament bulb assembly, with taillights, turn signals, and brake lights is available for about $ 20 from U-Haul.)

I used 3/8" u-bolts and 5/16" bolts for everything else. Be sure to use the HARDENED variety. The total cost for all the steel, nuts, bolts, washers, etc. should be under $ 25. The tow bar can be rented from U-Haul for $ 20/day, bought from various sources, or you can beg, borrow, or steal one.

If you are towing one way, it is easy to remove the various components by unbolting them. They will easily fit inside any vehicle that is large and powerful enough to be used as a tow vehicle.

Remember that the towed Van will be steering itself, so put the key in the ignition and turn it just enough to disengage the steering column lock. If you will be leaving the vehicle, remove the key, but don't neglect to replace it prior to futher towing. Trust me, it is easy to forget this small detail, and embarassing at a minimum to attempt to tow a Van whose front wheels are locked.

Also, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE A TOW VEHICLE THAT WEIGHS MORE THAN THE VAN. If not, the minor steering corrections of the towed Van (over all road irregularities) will cause a wiggle in the rear of the towing vehicle, which will get VERY UNSTABLE AT HIGH SPEEDS. If you stay under 40 mph, it should not be nearly as critical. (Those of you with an interest in mass, momemtum, and vector analysis can explain the underlying principles to the rest of us.)

Also, please remember that the towed Van has no available brakes, so be very careful in traffic and on long downgrades. If there is a "Slow Truck" warning, it means you.

If there are any questions, please contact me. And for those of you who have read all the way to here, I am considering the possibility of lending my unit to Listees. However, I am concerned about possible liability problems, as well as the logistics of shipping about 50 pounds of steel, which is over 5' in length. Responses to these issues are solicited, as I feel the need to ponder for a while.

You can e-mail me at Bpremack@wavetech.net or, if you want to call, please e-mail me first so that an appropriate time may be chosen.

Budd Premack 87 Wolfsburg, 84 Vanagon, 86 Syncro (for sale) 73 Super, 64 Bug Minneapolis, MN