Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:12:00 -0500
From:         "John H. Zouck" <jhz@APLEXUS.JHUAPL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: automatic trans

I to had this problem, but with my 1988 Westy auto. Once, at around 20K miles (I think) I took it ot the VW dealer who rebuilt it under warranty, I believe replacing some sort of drain-valve that he said was leaking. I don't have the service papers here at work, so I can't remember exactly. I think the dealer put it to VWAmerica when they charged for the job. I seem to remember $3000 or something.

At any rate, the same thing started again several years ago, but this time there was no warranty, and there are no other symptoms, so I did not try to fix it. I really don't even think of it much anymore, since if I drive once a week or so I can't tell. I think it has something to do with fluid draining out of something that takes a little time to get recirculated...??

Sorry for the uncertainty about this. I'd like to hear from others with this problem. I don't plan to do anything about it if it is expensive to fix.

============================ John H. Zouck The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory ============================