Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:06:36 EST
From:         KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Got Vanagon Diesel to Gas Swap Stuff!!

I don't want to stir to conversion pot again, but for anyone that is interested I just found a diesel Vanagon at my local U-pull-it and pulled the tranny, starter, engine, and linkage for the shifter. This thing has got some crazy hoses. The total was $180. What a steal! I think the Lord had to know I needed this stuff because my motor needs help and there are only 5 Vanagons in all of South Jersey and I happen to find one right when I need it. It is not a coincidence. Anyway I am going to do the swap into my '85 Vanagon. I would like to take the bellhousing off the diesel tranny and put it on my Waterboxer tranny. Is this hard? Do I need special tools? If it is too involved I'll just put it in as one piece. So the plan is to get a low mileage Fox motor from U-Pull-It (since it already sits longitudinally and the intake is setup correctly) and then sell my waterboxer to pay for the whole deal (so if you are interested I am selling my 1.9 liter. It runs good, no smoke, doesn't burn oil, but it did have a head leak which I sealed with block sealer so it would probably be a good idea for whoever buys it to redo the heads. Asking $500) When I do the swap I will be writing the procedure up into a manual with drawings and pictures so if anyone is interested in getting one of these please let me know. I'll keep the list posted. Ken Wilford John 3:16 PS The Fox motor will be from a '85 or newer with all emissions stuff on it. Got to obey the laws now don't we.