Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 11:57:23 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: automatic trans

Hi all,

My '84 with an auto clocking in at 133K is also as fast as a stick. However, my automatic GEO with 135K is behaving EXACTLY like your Westy. On top of this, is smells like burnt tranny fluid when I'm punching it- which is often, considering the 933cc beast's lack of power (from the engine, not a slipping tranny.) You can't smell what is downwind from what is behind you, so check the tranny fluid to see if it is burnt.

I'm leery of changing the fluid, because I'm aware of many stories involving trans failure after changing the fluid- the resin from the old fluid is cleaned away, exposing the leaky seals that drain the fluid and fry the bands. I'm not sure of this, so you may want to take this with as many grains of salt as so desired.

At least the problem is universal, so an expert non-VW opinion will be just as valid.

As good as $2K for a new trans may be, it is still $2K. My nails are bitten just as short as yours due to my own problem.

Best of luck!

Sam

"Just as original as the original=just as many ideas appropriated from VW as the first time"

---Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET> wrote: > > My 84 westy has an automatic that I've actually learned to like. The > problem is that it may be getting tired. The tranny has 145,000 miles on > it and in cold weather (northern wisconsin cold) the trans dosen't want > to engage when it is first started. What I mean is that when I first put > it into 1st or reverse I've got to run the rpm's up to at least 2500 to > get any movement out of the beast. Once things are warmed up there is no > problem other than a westy with an automatic is the very definition of > slow : ( Oh well, who would by a Vanagon to hotrod? > > So to you tranny experts....is it dying? Is there any hope? > > TIA, Bob > > 84 Westy, wolfsburg...Das Bus >