Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:58:20 EST
From:         Eric Henning <henning@FP.COM>
Subject:      80 Westy FS?

I am at a crossroad. I think I have decided I would rather be a loaf than a brick. I have come across a loaf Westy I would like to own. So it is with some trepidation I offer for sale my 80 Westy. Presently we have three cars (Fiat Spider, Ford Windstar and my Westy) so adding a fourth car breaks my vague, unwritten pre-nup agreement.

So here are the details:

1980 Westy 61k original miles. Been repainted maroon/red. No dents. Only rust is on corners of rear window. Pop-top in great shape, canvas very good although zipper on screen has come loose in two spots. Upper bunk rarely used. Front seat upholstery faded and alittle worn, all other upholstery very good. Both tables in great shape, all cabinets in very good shape. Contact paper wall covering has been stripped in anticipation of recovering with fabric (sliding door re-done). Everything works, good heat. Original 8-track AM/FM Blaupunkt radio (now there's a bonus).

Things I've done: added tachometer in place of clock (looks almost stock), added oil temp sensor and gauge. Replaced push rod tube seals on passenger side of engine (have to do other side - slight oil leak). Replaced luggage rack seal. Will include Haynes Manual and original Owner's Manual with Camper Manual.

Engine starts immediatley idles beautifully and runs suberbly. I would love to keep this engine but see it as a major selling benefit. Recently checked coloring of spark plugs - nice tan color on all four. Fairly new exhaust. Tires great except for rear drivers side (when I first got it I kept banging into curbs going around corners). 4 speed manual tranny.

Things it presently needs: New spark plug wires (will probably be replaced shortly - got shocked by one the other day), expansion tank gas tubing cracked causing gas dribble when tank filled to capacity (was going to deal with this when weather turned warm again). Located in greater Philadelphia suburbs. Asking $3500.00. I would not hesitate driving this vehicle on a "Fordesque" epic adventure.

eric henning@fp.com