Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:16:13 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dead VC
Comments: To: dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM

> Malcolm, re-read my post, I worded it awkwardly. I said

No, you worded it fine -- I read it awkwardly, and then quoted your appropriately worded post in my flame -- I do apologize.

I don't have any help to offer you on whether your new VC is any better than the old one before you put it in. I don't even know for certain that the one I just replaced is good -- it does not "scrub" in tight turns like my other syncro. The new VC felt entirely solid before I installed it -- I don't think you can turn the two ends relative to each other at all.

[ Ok, I went out and straddled a berm -- right front and left rear tires on the berm, the others sitting in mud. Truck was stuck, with the left front tire spinning -- the VC was therefore locked. The right rear tire was spinning helplessly as well, a classic four-wheel-drive-stuck-in-the-mud situation. It was very easy to get the thing stuck (although I confess that I've gotten my LandCruiser stuck soooo often that I know how to get there -- LandCruisers, especially the old FJ40's like mine are real four-wheelers!). This VC does *not* scrub in turns, but it does lock -- and 4-wheel drives still can get stuck pretty easily if you try. The diff lock is sure a nice touch, wish my LC had a couple of 'em, but then again it has a mondo stock winch.]

The VCs are reputed to have changed over the years as well, with variations on how quickly they lock up. Given the rather surprising fact that they lock up *at all* I would suspect that they are kind of individual about their actual behaviour. The lock point is apparently a combination of the type of oil used internally, the machining of the multi-plate clutch surfaces, the size of the air-bubble inside, the internal initial pressure, and the temperature. With so many factors involved, predicting the point they lock would be very hard.

My '86 Kombi was a fairly early example. I believe it has its original VC, and it locks in any tight turn, annoyingly so. My '86 Doublecab is the same vintage (probably built the same day) and its VC had been removed, presumably because it had failed, although it was a dealer car all its life, and a dealer might have stolen it temporarily to get a customer's car running again. The new VC is not very aggressive compared the Kombi.

Check the old archives, but I recall that Tim Smith had done some research into the changes that the manufacturer of the VC did over the years. I remember something about both making them less aggressive in the initial lock (locking later) and locking stronger. This was apparently accomplished by making the air bubble larger and pre-pressurizing the VC. It sounded like they experimented a lot. I also recall that some other company did the VC, but the one I put back in had only SDP on it in the end castings.

I have heard that they fail as you have described yours if the internal oil is contaminated by seal failure. The failure allows the internal silicone oil to leak out instead of holding the very high pressure needed to lock the VC, and when it cools, allows hypoid differential oil to be drawn into the VC. I would expect this sort of failure to eventually lead to a VC that allows the front wheel to turn, but still with very stiff resistance, slowly getting less stiff over time as the silicone oil became increasingly contaminated. The failure to lock, however, would occur long before any difference would be felt at the wheel, I would think.

As to the idea of a torque-wrench, well, it is a nice try, but the reality is that even if the VC has good stiff resistance, the weirdness that causes the locking may not be working. Having one *lock* is a good indication, having one stiff to turn is only information that at least your VC has not be ripped out, like mine was. The final problem with the torque wrench idea is that the stiffness is that of a stiff fluid -- if you apply any torque the thing will turn -- just not very fast. More torque, and it will turn faster. So you would need a torque vs. rpm kind of test (and why the tools for setting bearing preloads are so fancy).

malcolm