Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:25:38 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Doublecab Wanted
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

Actually, MSDS had a white 1986 one for sale a while back -- I did not buy this one, but it might still be available. I think they were asking US$18000. You can get their number off the www.vanagon.com site. They are in southern California -- a wee drive from Maine.

Jeff Slater, of Woodinville Washington (not much less of a drive) usually has a line on one or two for sale. Typically, he gets US$25000 for a Syncro and US$15000 for a 2WD.

These do come up for sale in Canada a bit, but most folks seem to know what they bring in the US and sell them very dear. Tim Smith, in New Brunswick is very close to you, and might be some help -- his email address is smitht@unb.ca.

Bringing one in from Canada is fairly easy, as cars go. You will need DOT and EPA approval, and a few bits changed on the truck -- the speedometer must read in miles/hour, the handbrake light has to say "brake". VWoA will issue you a "Certificate of Compliance" which DOT and EPA will need to see. DOT will want to see some paperwork that the changes were done (my local VW dealer wrote a note to them after looking at mine). You might be hit with import duties. I was not, but be prepared to pay 25% of the value of the truck if you do find one in Canada -- that's the duty rate on these. I got my DC in California, though, and avoided this. My Kombi was waved through by the customs guys -- they see VW buses all the time, and did not really care that technically this was not exempt from the duty. They might skip the duty on a used car.

I love mine.

malcolm