Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:41:42 -0400
From:         Marcus Elia <jdeck@TRENTU.CA>
Subject:      Re: small vexations: 85 Vanagon
Comments: To: Judith Barr / Leo Girard <lgirard@BMTS.COM>

>3. metal tube crossing over engine...originally black (now very rusted)...part of cooling system?

This is the front heater return pipe. Exactly why it goes over top of the engine, only the wisdom of the ancients can explain, but there it is. Mine went bad, dripping the sweet stuff on the engine, and I could not find a replacement: Even the dealer said that it didn't exist anymore. So my mechanic removed it, cleaned off the rust, and brazed over the holes. The he spray-painted it a nice spec-looking glossy black and presto, no more drip. He managed to get minimum coolant escape by pinching the hoses either end. He wasn't able to warranty the work, because it's only a temporary fix, so I'm on the lookout for a new pipe. (Mechanic is Peter at Ram Auto, Peterborough, Ontario. He knows Vanagons, but he ain't cheap.)

Which reminds me: Are there any other Peterborough (Ontario)-area list members out there? If so, I am interested in networking for local wasserboxer gurus and junkyards with retired vanagons. Am willing to trade for knowledge of whereabouts of Calgary-area guru and old volks home, ;) in case you're travelling that way and would like a special treat. Okay, I'm willing to give this info for free, by personal e-mail request only.

Marcus Elia '84 Westy (Dela)