Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Dec 1997 21:04:38 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      re Cautionary Tale.....
Comments: To: Chris Paquet <cp@ix.netcom.com>

SyncroBeast re Cautionary Tale..... Chris, and all. I'd say been there, done that, except my tale is only similar, and does not involve the wreck part. At some point in time, say a year ago, I had this urge to redo my insurance, check coverage, add/remove glass coverage, etc., etc. To my horror, I discovered that I no longer had coverage. My Insurance company, Illinois Farmers, had "LOST" my payment, and assumed I did want to be covered. Since they had lost the payment, no coverage was continued, and of course, I got no premium notices. On my part, maybe I should have realized it had been a while since I had gotten billed for coverage, but as life goes on, it wasn't exactly at the top of my mind.

So what happened. Farmers had dropped me 9 months prior. They initially said screw you, we'll be glad to give you coverage, but at a higher rate. Then they said, sure fine, we'll continue your coverage, but you owe us for 9 months payments.

I persisted and pointed out that I was a customer of 15 to 20 years, and didn't exactly like the treatment I was getting, I wasn't the one who lost the check, and maybe credited it to the wrong policy, (yes, I had a canceled check, but that didn't tell us what policy had it had been credited to.) and wouldn't they like to talk to both my attourny, and oh by the way, I've copied the correspondence to the MinneSnowta Attorny General and the MinneSnowta Insurance Oversite Commitee (My Mind is a blank on the correct name, but you get the idea, there is probably an Insurance Ombudsman of some sort that oversees the companies in California just like there is in MinneSnowta.) who I'm sure would like to sit in on the conversations.

It didn't take them long to realise that they were being jerks, and that I wasn't about to buckle under and fold. They reinstated me, I made a nominal payment, nowhere near the full amount due, and life went on.

MORAL or the story: Don't buckle in at the first sign, or even the second sign of trouble with the Insurance industry. They want you to think that they hold all the cards, but they are just in buisiness trying to make the maximum buck. It only seems like they are ass holes. If you apply pressure right back and make it clear in no uncertain terms, that you as a consumer have rights, and will not be treated without compasion and common sense, eventually you can prevail.

My apologies to any insurance agents I may have offended.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '87 GTI 16V '86 Scirocco (SO's) Prior Lake, MinnneSnowta ;)