Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Dec 1997 01:08:37 -0700
From:         Jerry Hart <harte@BVSD.K12.CO.US>
Subject:      Re: clutch master cylinder(bleeding tip)
Comments: To: Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>

Sean Bartnik wrote: > > Hey all, > Well, looks like my clutch master cylinder is on the way out. > (snip)

> Does anyone have any tips? Is it possible to bleed this thing just like > bleeding the brakes or will I need some kind of pressure or vacuum > bleeder? > > TIA, > Sean > -- My dad was an aircraft and auto mechanic. A tip he taught me for servicing and bleeding brakes at the same time on both cars and airplanes is to thoroughly clean out a plastic bottle with a plunger pump(I use Soft Soap dispensers), fill it with brake fluid and attach the proper size clear vinyl hose with a tiny clamp or plastic wire tie to the pump outlet.

You can make brake and clutch bleeding a one person operation by using a hose long enough to fit over the furtherest brake bleeding nipple while you stand and pump the fluid from a position where you can watch the bubbles and fluid level rise in the master cylinder reservoir. Sometimes a mirror placed on the dash can help you see the Vanagon's reservoir through the sliding door.

By injecting brake fluid in the reverse direction from the lowest point(the brake or clutch slave cylinder) to the highest point(the reservoir) you force the air bubbles to travel up the system and vent out through the fluid in the reservoir.

When I observe the air bubbles stop and the fluid level rise I close the bleed valve. When doing the brakes I start with the wheel furtherest from the reservoir and work toward the reservoir(RR, LR, RF, LF.)

I usually check for complete bleeding by doing it the conventional way(I'm a safety nut) but I have done this for years on all kinds of machines and don't recall ever finding any air in the system.