Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:17:04 -0500
From:         Gregg Scharff <scharff@ENG.KNS.COM>
Subject:      shrinking edge trim in Westy
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com
Comments: cc: bcampbell@kns.com

Does anyone (or everyone) experience the same problem that I do... shrinking edge trim on all Westy cabinets??? Being a mechanical engineer I was ready to accept this phenomenon, passing it off as a poor choice of material during the design phase of the project. Also the material might perform admirably in the climate found in Germany (Europe), but not everywhere else in the world. Usually by the time the material breaks down or changes its properties it is too late to remedy it (too late meaning no budget exists for the company to fix the problem unless loss of limb or life!! is the case). Well, I just went to install my new skylight hatch (purchased from Ron & his friendly staff of (1) at the Bus Depot, Thanks again !!!) and was glad to see that the original seal was still intact, but it too has shrunk drastically, possibly beyond use. I will attempt removing it and soaking it in "CRC 2-26" to restore it suppleness and elasticity and see if it is salvageable.

A NOTE TO ALL DO-IT-YOURSELFERS: USE ONLY SILICONE BASED SPRAYS LIKE "CRC" ON RUBBER COMPONENTS ON YOUR PROJECTS. BEING SILICONE BASE IT WILL NOT BREAK DOWN THE RUBBER. !!! DO NOT !!! USE PETROLEUM BASED PRODUCTS (LIKE WD-40) ON RUBBER COMPONENTS AS THEY WILL, OVER THE LONG-TERM, ATTACK AND DETERIORATE THE RUBBER. ALSO IF FUTURE USE OF SILICONE SEALANT IS NEEDED (AS LONG AS THE SILICONE SPRAY HAS HAD TIME TO SOAK IN, AND THE SURFACE HAS BEEN WIPED WITH A DRY RAG) IT WILL STILL ADHERE NICELY.

Happy repairs,

Gregg (Conshohocken, Pa outside Phildelphia) '85 Westy '90 Wife '94 domestic cat '92 Ranger p/u 4x4 '87 Integra '87 Ninja 1000R (great sport touring bike 4sale, adult owned & maint synth oil) '84 Interceptor '71 Kawsaki KV75 mini-bike