Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 1998 01:15:59 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia Insulation
Comments: To: ThingGuy@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The foil covered bubble wrap sold as insulation is a relatively cheap and easy way to insulate windows. it can be cut to size and will stay in place by itself if you cut it a little larger than the window and crimp the excess againbst the window gasket. (it is also easy to insulate the ceiling by lifting the pop top, inserting a pre-cut piece to cover the exposed portion of the ceiling and closing the top.) I used it this winter camping in the Sierra when it went down to -6F and it greatly improved heat retention. I could keep the van 65F inside without any problem. It also reflects heat in summer.

With respect to the door and body panel insulation, the factory job leaves a lot of large uninsulated spaces that can easily be filled to provide better overall insulation. Also, the front doors are not insulated.

It is worth the time and effort to supplement the stock insulation if you like to get out in the winter, or live where the winter is cold. It will make a difference, and it's great being able to camp comfortably, luxuriously even, in harsh winter conditions (imagine, for example, climbing out of your nice warm van at dawn with the temp at -6 and two feet of snow on the ground so that you can watch the sun rise while soaking in a natural hot spring...so hot in fact that before too long you end up voluntarily rolling in the snow while completely naked :-P.steve'90 syncro westfalia

p.s....Steve, can you get those curtains you mention they have in Germany?