Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 1998 06:08:14 -0800
From:         Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold blooded
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

Eric and Malcolm,

MY temp sensor did go bad; the warning light flashed no matter how much coolant was in there. I replaced it as I also replaced the water pump.

Malcolm, you might want to go ahead and try the convoluted process of topping off the coolant system, just to find out how much air or little antifreeze is in there. If you're leaking, you might find out where the leak is.

If, by chance, you rev the motor as per Bentley while you top off the coolant, with the bleeder screws in the engine compartment and radiator open, and nothing pumps out regardless of how much your motor is winding up, the problem may be the thermostat or water pump. You check the thermostat by putting it in a pot of boiling water, and it should open at the Bentley-specified temp. Water pumps usually fail by seizing, but mine just fell apart- If your thermo is fine and you decide to get a water pump, get a GERMAN one!!!!!!!!

Best of luck! Sam

---EMZ <vw4x4@FYI.NET> wrote: > > My Guess: > Low or no coolant. Or a leak to simulate running cool, as the > temp. sensor would not see much heat without coolent. > > Bad temp. sender. I have never sean one go bad on a Vanagon. > > Engine compartment bleeder screw left opened. > > let me know what you find. > > Eric 86-VW4x4 > vw4x4@fyi.net 72-240z > Pittsburgh, PA USA 1936-Chrysler > > > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Malcolm Holser wrote: > > > I got the Kombi back on the road -- it is an '86 Syncro, but it won't > > get the engine warm. I have always had trouble with this van running > > a bit cold, but lately it won't get warm at all -- it stays in the lower > > white arc all the time, even uphills. I put in a new thermostat to no > > avail. The engine will get warm to the touch, but the "crossover pipes" > > stay cold, and the heater blows cold air. The only thing I can think of > > is to try *another* new thermostat, and perhaps check out the thermostat > > housing. Has anybody experienced this one before? The van runs well -- > > it got 20.3mpg last tank in mountain highway driving. > > > > I suppose this is better than overheating, but the defroster won't work at > > all -- just blows cold air on the windshield. No air bubble here -- all > > the pipes and hoses coming forward are cold, and the engine only get to > > about 120'F -- comfortably warm to hold onto the heads after hard driving. > > There is no rear heater (there is not much in the rear of a Kombi!). Any > > opinions gladly taken. This will be the third thermostat if I change it > > again, and I could not find anything wrong with the original. If anybody > > has a line on a good Syncro thermostat housing that I could get, I'd > > appriciate that too. I have not asked VW -- maybe I'll find they are > > reasonable on such a Syncro-only part. Hard to buy not knowing if there > > is need. > > > > Malcolm > > >