Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Feb 1998 15:48:16 -0800
From:         Malcolm Holser <mholser@ADOBE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Cold blooded
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

This turned out to be the thermostat, and after I got it out I recalled reading something on the list in the past about this very problem. The thermostat (and presumably the one I replaced as well) got stuck in the open position. There is a round stainless steel plate on the bottom of the thing, that shuts off the return flow to the engine when the thing opens. This plate is a little too good a fit in the thermostat housing, and wedged itself into place, making the thermostat always open. The plate does not seal on the edge, though, but on the center. The outer diameter does not seem important other than causing this jam. I ground about 1mm off all around the disk, and all is working fine. What I recall from the past was a warning about aftermarket thermostats sticking, and this was apparently what happened to me. It is amazing how good the radiator can be on a Vanagon -- with this open, the engine just would not get warm at all, even sitting idling, with no air flow over the radiator at all. In thinking about it, I realized that I almost *never* hear the radiator fan come on on any of my Vanagons. I guess it must be the cool summers we get here in central California. Now the needle sits just above the LED on the temperature guauge, and the defroster cranks out hot air again.

Thanks for the responses -- and be aware that aftermarket thermostats have this "feature". I don't know if the 2wd Vanagons would have this problem, since they use a different thermostat housing, and it is the inner bore of this part that catches the plate.

Malcolm