Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 1998 01:57:24 -0800
From:         Alain Thibault <alain@INTERGATE.BC.CA>
Subject:      Idling- at steady or variable speed ?
Comments: To: LISTE VANAGON <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Being on my first westfalia, I haven't had a chance to hear other vanagon engine running so I wander if mine is normal.The way this engine idle is probably typical to vanagon as it is I guess in very good condition and was well maintained by PO. What strikes me is that it seems that it is not always running at equal speed (or idle). Idle is normal but vary constantly between 850-950... and it shows in the sound that the running engine produce (variable speed). I can easily recognise the sound of my van from other car in the street. Sometimes too, I find that the engine does not run perfectly smooth.

Other than idling speed and some "soubresault" from the engine, when cold in the morning, I have to let it run for a minute before depressing the gas pedal...if not it almost stalls until I give some gas again.I also noticed lately that when warm, it idles at 750 or a bit less sometimes but will get back to 800-900 if given some gas.

Could these combined elements be caused by the injectors. How often, do the injectors need to be cleaned? Or spark plugs ?

How does your engine idle ? Steady or at variable speed? Definitely different from my Toyota.

Thank you...

Alain Thibault Vancouver,BC Westfalia 1991