Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Feb 1998 21:36:24 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: clunk clunk
Comments: To: rob wilke <wilpho@MCN.NET>,

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 17:17:17 -0700 you said: >I'm getting a clunking sound from the rear drivers side when turning at >low speeds, my guess is cv joint(s). How hard are these to replace > and what is the best brand to get? Thanks in Advance. Rob

before you panic and pay big bucks for new joints, try removing them and cleaning the old grease off (carb cleaner in a spray can works well ... just try to NOT breathe the fumes!), and put NEW grease on the joint and up in the rubber boot (also check the boots in case they are cracked or torn). i use Valvoline Moly EP grease ("for disk brakes...") in the 12 oz paper tube. and i put 1/2 of a tube into each joint (you've got four joints). really cram it in there and in the boot. no, you won't get all of it in ... some of it gets on YOU. :)

anyway, just cause you hear the noise, it does NOT mean the joint is damaged enough to replace it. with new grease (every 50-60,000 miles), that same joint can last you another 100,000 miles or more. my brother had a rabbit with joints that lasted 250,000 miles (he wrecked the car) and my 88 bus has 133,000 on the original joints.

the rear joints are pretty easy to do ... messy but easy. the axles are a lot heavier than you might think, so be careful.

since yours is a syncro, you also have four more FRONT joints ... and they are NOT so easy to do. you have to remove the front hubs partially (i think) to get at them. but it's worth getting it done.

good luck! joel