Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Mar 1998 17:59:25 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <jim@OLDVOLKSHOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Auto Tranny vs. Manual?
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 02:10 PM 3/27/98 -0800, t bill wrote: >---Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM> wrote: >> transmissions. I've been told by a friend (owns an '84 Westy) that an >> automatic transmission steals power from an already power-poor >> vehicle. >> >> True? >> >Not at all. My 1.9l 83.5 auto has just as much power as a stick. >Normally my vehicles have sticks, it's a control thing. But I really >like my auto, especially when I'm creeping thru the forest rather than >burning a clutch. My top speed is the same or better than the Vanagon >sticks I've tried. MGP seems about the same (17 city, 19 highway). >What REALLY has me sold is I've had to do no maintenace other than >change the oil and filters a couple of times in 147k. If you read the >list long enough, replacing clutches, bearings, linkage, and even >rebuilding the whole tranny is an all too frequent major headache. *************************************

I have to side with Bill as well. My 84 Westy is an auto and functions very well. With the van upgraded to a 2.1 last year, I put about 22k miles on it without a problem at all, trans-wise. Shifts well and positive in just about the right spots and downshifting on decent grades has not been the problem related by one or two people on thes list. I expect to put at leats 40k miles on the van this year going to various VW shows loaded with display cases, parts, camping gear, porta-potti, bicycle, etc. My mileage when loaded down averages about 15-16mpg, but it's not running rich - my tailpipe is clean enough to eat off of. Speed on the flat is a good 70 with plenty of pedal to spare. On 6 to 7% grades, I just downshift into D2 and set the speedo at 45MPH and enjoy the view. So what if it's a little slow leaving the stop sign/light - I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere anyway ;)

Along with not worrying about clutches, the engine is a breeze to remove and install with an automatic as well. Don't have to worry about mainshaft splines or damaging the clutch disc when installing.

This is my first VW automatic. All others before (and current) are sticks.

Jim Thompson 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle * 90 Fox Wagon Check out our latest cool stuff at: http://www.oldvolkshome.com ------------------------------------------- Check out the Odd, Weird, One of a Kind Items For Sale On the "OddBall Page" http://www.oldvolkshome.com/oddball.html ------------------------------------------- Our Website is totally redesigned for ease of your use. Now in "Frames" or "No Frames" format: Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/frames.html No Frames - http://www.oldvolkshome.com/homenf.html ------------------------------------------- Now use your VISA, MasterCard or AMEX at: Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home PO Box 176 * Palo Cedro, CA 96073-0176 (530) 221-5342 (Voice or Fax) jim@oldvolkshome.com jim96003@c-zone.net