Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 8 Mar 1998 19:23:34 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <cr\hyates@bert.cr.bcit.bc.ca>
From:         Harry Yates <hyates@BERT.CR.BCIT.BC.CA>
Subject:      brakes/clutch bleeding - success!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Folks. Well, I did it! As per the many suggestions I had from this list, and especially Tim Smith, I was able to flush these lines out with no problem using the two people method.

Bleeding the brakes on the van is the same as any car, and my fluid was in the van for two years. It was a bit murky, but not too bad at all. I ran into a bit of a problem at the LR wheel cylinder as the fluid wouldn't come out of the bleeder nipple.. it came out the threads! So, I had to remove the bleeder screw, and clean out the bleed hole at the base of the screw. What a mess that made with brake fluid running down the backing plate. A bit of a clean up job there. Anyway, got the brakes done using 3 jugs of fluid (12 ounce or 355 ml).

When bleeding the clutch, it was really straight forward, and easy. Pumped about 3 times, and then on the beginning of the forth stroke, I opened the bleeder, and closed off before my buddy's foot hit the floor with the pedal. This was easy, but a bit slower to do than the brakes. Basically, I pumped an extra jug of fluid through to clean out the clutch line. Now, that clutch line was disgusting! The fluid was black. I couldn't believe it!

My van has had the brake system flushed every two years since it was new in 1990, and looking at the fluid coming out of the clutch slave cylinder, it would appear that it had never been changed. I just checked my records, and the dealer had charged me 0.85 hours of labour to do the brakes, and used 2 - 12 ounce jugs to flush out the brakes. So, it is obvious to me that this isn't enough to completely flush out a Vanagon brake system.

So, this cost me 4 - 12 ounce jugs of Super Dot 4 fluid ( I used VW's stuff ), and it took us about 3 hours to do. Hey, I didn't say I was fast! But, I sure advise to flush out the clutch circuit. You don't even have to go under the van for that, so it's really easy and convenient to do.

Hope this helps someone out. Harry. --------------------------------------------------------- Harry Yates, Langley, BC, Canada '90 Syncro Westfalia www: http://syncro.bcit.bc.ca/hyates '87 Golf Diesel email: hyates@bert.cr.bcit.bc.ca '91 Miata (Millie)