Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:07:50 EST
From:         NotaJeep <NotaJeep@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: metal engine acess lids/ vanagon engine fires w
Comments: To: VANAGONE@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

<< Actually, I think halon is now illegal under the new CFC laws which regulate the use of halogens and other ozone depleting chemicals(refrigerants). Save the van, kill the rainforests? >>

I'll take a guess that as a test engineer for Walter Kidde Aerospace, that is to say the guy who tests the Halon supression systems on airplanes, I may be the resident "expert" on Halons....note the plural.....Halon 1301 has been banned for all but air craft use by the 1995 Montreal Protocol...another refrigerant, HFC 125 is *not* certified for aircraft but is a "green"agent.....we use HFC 125 as a simulant for 1301 for engine and apu's......for cargo class "d" (to prevent another"Valuejet") only 1301 will do for testing.....however another "Halon", 1211 can be used for engines...but its boiling point is high enough that you need to heat the discharge nozzles...not easy in a vanagon.....your best bet is to find a source of HFC 125 and have your extinguisher charged with it, run some plumbing to the engine compartment and have a manual valve installed where you can reach it.....just a few pounds of HFC 125 should do for a VW.......makes about 2.5 cubic feet per pound and you want a 6% by volume for fire knock down..... Me? I have 2 2.5 lb ABC dry chemicals , one in the back and one horizontal under the radio.....and I can have all the HFC 125 I want.

steve..