Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Mar 1998 18:38:33 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <dboehler@TAOS.MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Long-block source recommendation ('83)
Comments: To: Morris Arthur <morris@CMR.SPH.UNC.EDU>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

-------------- Hi Morris, The wasserboxer is very similar to the pancake when it comes to doing a rebuild. Your pancake experience will serve you well. I feel you can bring your old engine back to life smoother and stronger than it was originally. I am very happy with my 2.1L that I rebuilt last fall. I rebuilt bottom and top and had the crank and all components attached to it balanced at a local speed shop. This makes it very smooth and steady. The list vendors have all the parts you will need. Unlike the pancake the wasser probably won't need a cam, p&cs, the bottom end of this engine is very strong. My 2.1 had 228k miles and little bottom end ware. This engine doesn't seem to have the problem like pancakes of the crank whipping and beating out the center main bearings. Good luck with your quest.

Darrell Boehler Makanda Illinois

-----Original Message----- From: Morris Arthur <morris@CMR.SPH.UNC.EDU> To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, March 16, 1998 5:35 PM Subject: Long-block source recommendation ('83)