Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Mar 1998 22:18:23 -0600
From:         Bob Berkemer <berky@WIN.BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Long-block source recommendation
Comments: To: "Vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Morris,

I had the longblock replaced in my 84 westy last april. After checking out the options from the west coast (which seemed like pretty good products) I went to my local VW dealer, who has a good mechanic that I trust, and bought my long block from them and had them install it for me. The reason I did this is that the shipping a long block from the west coast to Wisconsin costs as well as shipping the core out to them for exchange. The dealers price last year was $2,300 plus installation. My final price from the dealer was around $3,300. For this they took out the old engine, installed the new one (with new heads and valves and water pump) and replaced various vacuum hoses and nuts and bolts that were needed. Oh, I almost forgot, the price included one new header pipe from VW.

One important reason for choosing the dealer is that the engine and work comes with a 12,000 or 12 month warranty good anywhere in the U.S. That is important to me as we like to take our Westy to remote places and if I break down on a national forest road in the upper peninsula of Michigan and I'm under warranty, there are dealers within 100 miles or so. If I bought the engine from a business in California I've got problems.

If you can find a dealer you trust I'd go with them. Then follow the advice on this list to keep your complicated little engine running for as long as you can.

Good Luck, Bob 84 westy, der bus