Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:33:25 +0200
From:         Andrew McCain <dmccain@SEVAKFI.ORG>
Subject:      electrical oddessy: long, drawn out, and annoying
Comments: To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com>

yes, it is time for another harrowing episode of the "trials and tribulations of upkeep," with an international twist.

i got my '82 Diesel(it is now confirmed) a few months back, and as it needed some work, i found myself a region of town devoted to repair. . .each shop with his own specialization - but nothing vanagon specific, of course. bodywork and interior are complete, after a mere month and a half, as is a new exhaust and cabin fan(still not that much heat, but i didn't really expect that). BACKGROUND - i need to state that this is going on in Istanbul, Turkey, which is most likely the paperwork capital of the world. the bus was registered to a foreigner previously, and could only be sold to another foreigner - namely me. the paper trail after sale to get it registered is long and arduous, which is why i decided to have this work done - i couldn't drive it until that happened. anyway, i am left with no registration, or plates, and am surrounded with a police force who LUUUV a little bribe. paranoid? not me.

ok. picked up this sleek looking vehicle 'couple weeks ago, got it home, and promptly parked dad's car behind it to hide the fact that it had no plates. the next morening was the big day - devoted to having the bus tranfered from the previous owner at customs(it has to "leave" the country to get it off his passport), thence to the local DMV fpr registration, thence to have the licence plates made(really!) and back to DMV to have the plates officially stamped. jumped in, warmed up the glo plugs(or so i thought), turned the key and heard - nothing. jumping didn't work, and neither did pushing it. got a buddy from the site who has all of the connections, who got it started(needed the "touch," i guess), and we took it over to the electrical guy who i have to give a lot of credit, because he tried everything he could think of, but we finally decided that the started was just dead. changed it.

take two: jumped in, warm up the glo plugs, go, whir whir whir, dead battery. jump, whir whir whir, check the glo plugs, which were still cold. and i bet you thought that the middle east was always sunny, huh? well, it was snowing. back to the electrical guy, who checked the glo's, and they checked out ok, but found a bad relay. changed.

take three: whir whir whir, oops, we didn't run it enough for the battery. went to jump, and now dad's car won't start - '88 mitsubishi. go figure, whaddyagonna do?

lessee, anything i missed - apart from waiting until the sun comes out and customs is closed?

sorry it's so long, AnDrew McCain '82 Diesel Istanbul Turkey