Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 08:11:47 -0900
From:         Kevin J Turinsky <turinsky@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      What's Correct Oil Level: MIN or MAX?!
Comments: To: SyncroHead@aol.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi Jim and List Volks:

Well, I wondered if someone would comment on the oil quantity (4.25 qts.)! The owner's manual states 4.2qts. w/o filter, 4.8qts. with filter change, and that the difference between MIN and MAX is 1 quart. In reality I probably got around 4.35 - 4.40 in the thing.

I got the idea to try the engine with a little less oil from a List post from Ed McLean (mcleans@earthlink.net), dated May 1, 1997, titled "Overheating? Try these ideas."

Who knows if he knows what he's talking about. I've been intending to write him about his long-term experience - maybe today.

Ed made 6 points (I paraphrased the first 5):

1) Make sure the inside of your radiator is clean. 2) Make sure the OUTside of your radiator is clean. 3) Make sure your coolant is in spec. 4) He installed a slightly modified 82 degree C. thermostat. 5) Use a high quality lube - Synthetic if you can. 6) "I NEVER fill the crankcase oil level to the tip of the operating range on the dipstick. I always keep the oil level between the bottom of the operating range and 1/4 up from the bottom. This lowered my oil temperature (VDO drain plug sensor and electric gauge) from 255 degrees F to 185 degrees F at 70 mph on a 80 degree day! Usual oil temperature is about 175 degrees F even in 30 degree weather. Before reducing the oil level, hot idle oil pressure was sometimes 1-2 psi. Now it is generally 10 psi. Hot, 3000rpm oil pressure is 30-40 psi now. The oil warning light and buzzer came on a few times before I made these changes but they never come on now."

So, I tried this by carefully filling the crankcase by 8oz. at a time, after the first 3-3.5 qts. First I poured some oil into the oil filter and attached it. Then I began adding oil through the top. At about 4.25 qt. (coulda been a bit more - I got distracted once) the dipstick read 1/4 above the MIN mark. I drove around on Sunday, Monday, and today, checking the oil level both before and after running. The level seems fine, slightly higher than 1/4 above the MIN mark, probably due to the oil I poured in the filter.

Now, as a pilot, when dealing with Air Cooled engines, oil is used not only to reduce friction but also to REMOVE heat. Too much oil in an airplane engine can lead to higher engine temps. Seems like the same idea with the Vanagon engine. Now, granted, starving the engine of oil is NOT something to mess around with. These engines have enough problems already. So, I'm watching the level very carefully, have additional oil in the vehicle to add a little if I need to, AND I'll be changing that Fram filter out this weekend for an OEM.

I'd really like to know what you think about this. It sounds like good sense to me, but I'd also like to hear what others think too.

Oh, and thanks for the Amsoil filter part #. I knew there had to be an Amsoil filter that fit. I called Amsoil and they said "No." I'll be moving to Amsoil a little later - putting braided stainless steel hoses on too.

Hasta,

Kevin...turinsky@juno.com "Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska"

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 21:04:27 EST SyncroHead <SyncroHead@aol.com> writes: >In a message dated 98-03-16 18:51:39 EST, you write: > >> 4.25 quarts > >Uh..... I've been using 4.7 qts. Maybe you should put in a bit more? > >> Is there anything/any brand >> better than OEM, other than Amsoil's by-pass filter setup? What ARE >the >> best oil filters out there? > >Without going to the trouble of the whole bypass filter system, I'd >use (and >do use) the Amsoil filters. Model ASF-34 for a 2.1L Vanagon. I did >install >the bypass filter setup and had trouble with one of the hoses getting >too hot >from proximity to the exhaust. Still have not tried to re-engineer >this & re- >install. Someday though! > >Regards, >Jim Davis >

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]