Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:05:35 -0800
From:         David Bayer <bayer@SYBASE.COM>
Subject:      Re: pre-83 vanagon engine swaps: gas vs. diesel
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

>| still being made in Europe). So it should not be hard to put a inline gas >| engine into a newer Vanagon with the wasser setup using a donor diesel van.

One does not need to strip down a good diesel to do this conversion. One could order from either the dealer or another part source the bellhousing, the oil pan, the oil pickup tube, the dipstick, oil filler tube, the motor mounts, and possibly some of the air tubing to do the conversion.

>| The hard one to do is to put a diesel in a wasserboxer Vgon. Something to do >| with the fuel tank setup being different?

It shouldn't be a problem in a nonsyncro wasserboxer. It is the fuel tank on the syncro (the only vanagon in the US that has the fuel tank up over the tranny) that interfers with the starter when using the diesel bellhousing (as the starter ends up on top of the bellhousing and stretches back into area occupied by the fuel tank). Also, the diesel bellhousing supposedly lowers the engine by a little bit which might interfer with the subframe - this I have not checked...

dave