Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1998)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:28:12 -0800
From:         Mark McCulley <raven@HALCYON.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 coolant leak
Comments: To: Tonya Pope <tonya@TEAMM.COM>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I'm a bit confused as to what part you're referring to. The junction (Bentley calls it a distribution unit) is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. This is the part that was discussed recently. The only thing like a junction on the driver's side is the thermostat housing. I assume this is the part that's leaking.

There is a gasket that goes in the housing above the thermostat. Have you tightened the four screws holding the two pieces together? Are you sure the bleeder valve on top is closed? There could be a leak where one of the upper hoses attach that is weeping down to the seam. You might try running your finger around the top of the unit to better determine the source of the leak. Be careful though as this unit gets very hot. If the leak indeed appears to be at the seam between the two halves then I'd recommend replacing the gasket. Might as well replace the thermostat while you're doing this, unless you've replaced it recently. Use only OEM thermostats (available from Bus Depot for $15). I don't think a sealant is normally used for this application but I could be mistaken.

-Mark McCulley

If you're sure it's leaking

At 07:42 PM 3/16/98 -0600, Tonya Pope wrote: >Hi gang, > >Not sure how many actually got this with the list overload (one person >did respond already with how much the bottom piece will cost me). Just >in case you all did already, I'm only quoting the part I still have a >question on: > >Tonya Pope wrote: >> >> While it was laid up, it decided to leak coolant at the junction at the >> forward-driver's side of the engine compartment (the one everyone was >> complaining about last month). >> >> Now the top piece, part # 025-121-114, was replaced about two years >> ago. I had initially thought that it was the culprit again. Upon >> closer examination, it looks like its leaking at the seal between this >> piece and the one right under it. The one right under it -could- be >> cracked, but I can't really tell unless I take it apart. >> > >HERE IT IS, THE QUESTION :) > >> Right now, the best possibility is that the seal between the two went >> south while it was sitting. If that's the case, is there a gasket there >> or was there suppose to be some sealant? If sealant, what type? >> > >So? Gasket? Sealant? > >Thanks! >Tonya >87 Vanagon GL Wolfs >74 S. Beetle (for sale) >______________________________ > >Make your own Postcard with Attitude >http://www.The-WebGoddess.com >______________________________ >